The short version is I streamlined the mutation process. I did 2 things first I made it very simple either you breed you take 1 of the 2 parent genes or you insert or remove a gene. the chance of doing the insert and remove is totally based on stagnation. (as is the chance of a bad copy when taking the parent genes) stagnation is how many generations we've had since a new best cell was found. since this constantly increases it will pass through whatever sweet spot it needs to get to to maximize a the odds for a new best.... till it finds a new best then it resets. also by starting out baby stepping it, i give the code a really good chance to improve the results.
My old code was far more off the cuff. this new method seems really really focused. unfortunately the new method seems to improve a little slower at first. I think because you dont get the super crazy mutations the old one did. i'm hoping it just doesnt stop though.
The other improvement was i made it so the number of channels and layers dont mutate right now. I think they should be allowed to enter in but the actual process of that is probably in the same vein as gene mutation, super low odds slowly increasing and even if you do add one it should be a small channel (1 or 2 genes) or a layer that comes before the final result that can start being used.
I've started looking in to GPUing the code it looks like amd gpu code choices are kinda limited there is a c++ library that gets wrapped in various c# libraries that i'll probably end up using. the trick will be in finding the one that is easiest use. but... i'm not in a serious hurry there.
The program is currently doing 2 layers with 3 channels each and is at .22454 gini (which is terrible) its been running for about a day so hopefully this time tomorrow its up to between .235-.255 if it gets over .255 we'll be in a good spot. the contest has a week or so to go. i think it's my best chance to win, though i might go back and fiddle with the normal data mining program over the long weekend. i really want to see if i can maybe hone the GBM using that least squares stuff i did to the gene results to improve them.
Unrelated to any of that... marathon training. i told you i'm going to run in a marathon right? or at least that's the plan. i've been having a real tough time losing weight this time around. and getting the miles in on a treadmill is... hard. i stopped dieting (which was working well) this last week so i could do/enjoy thanksgiving but the weight is trying to come back.
In better news though, I think i've finally fixed my stride as my plantar fasciitis isn't getting worse despite the regular longer runs. which brings me to tonight. tonight i do 18 miles. this is kind of a rubber meets the road moment. Since I started training all attempts to do extended distances (over 13 miles) on the treadmill or otherwise have been cut short by me. usually due to concerns about damaged feet/ligiments or just not being in shape enough. so if this doesnt stick tonight i might put a pin in the planned marathon and do one further out where i can get in better shape/have more time. we will see.
One other thing I'll mention. I've been watching feathercoin do its thing lately. I haven't talked about cryptocurrency since i think before i reset the log... it's been a while. I'm a huge supporter of feathercoin and their team and want to see them do well. not to mention the coin itself. The point is its nice to see it start to take off. and i mean really take off. it was 10 cents a coin a week ago, its toying between 25 and 30 cents now. it could be some sort of artifical spike but i cant find a source of the news/pumping so i think it might just be a case of some big buyers wanting to hold reserves. I'm hopeful at any rate.